We take your data seriously. In today’s interconnected world, we understand how important is is for you to know how we use your personal information.
This privacy statement describes how Owning, a division of Guaranteed Rate, Inc. (“Owning”, “Guaranteed Rate”, “we”, “us,” or “our”) collects and uses the personal information of users and visitors of our website (“user”, “you”, or “your”): www.owning.com. It also describes the choices available to you regarding our use of your personal information and how you can access and update this information.
Owning is committed to protecting your non-public personal information at all times. To that end, we employ and maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to ensure your non-public personal information is protected.
Our websites are not designed to appeal to children under the age of 13 as our business is financial in nature. We don’t knowingly attempt to solicit or receive any information from children.
How and why we collect personal information
We primarily collect information by specifically requesting it from you. Generally, this occurs when you register at our website or request information or a service. Usually, we and our service partners use your information to operate the website and to deliver value-added services to you. Our website also uses your information to inform you about other products or services available from us.
Owning gathers two types of information about you:
- Data, including non-public personally identifiable information, that users provide through optional, voluntary application on our website
- Data that Owning gathers through aggregate tracking, including by tallying webpages that are viewed by users throughout our website.
Information we collect when you browse our website
We do not access information about your identity while you browse our website. Although we collect information about the date, time and area of our website that you visited, you remain anonymous to us. Only if you decide to apply for a loan with us directly or through a broker, do we collect any personally identifying information about you.
Use of Tracking; Use of IP Addresses
An IP address is a unique number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Internet so that your computer can be identified by the main computers, known as “Web servers,” that “serve up” or display webpages. This allows us to identify and gather general information and data about you, such as the webpages you view.
Owning uses a variety of third-party services to help provide the most streamlined and user-friendly website possible. We also use third parties such as Google Analytics to help us understand how our visitors use our website. These third-parties may collect certain information from your browser (i.e. using cookies and/or your IP address), and may tailor your ads so that you see Owning advertisements on other websites. To learn more, or to opt-out of receiving online display advertisements tailored to your interests by our third party partners, visit the Network Advertising Initiative at www.networkadvertising.org/choices.If you prefer, you can adjust your privacy settings in your browser so that your information is not tracked. Learn more about adjusting your Privacy Settings in your browser to turn off tracking here.
We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. We use session ID cookies to make it easier for you to navigate our site. A session ID cookie expires when you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. You can remove persistent cookies by following directions provided in your Internet browser’s “help” file.
We use session cookies to tailor your experience on our site. Persistent cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our site.
If you reject cookies, you may still use our site, but your ability to use some areas of our site, such as contests or surveys, will be limited.
Our third party service provider employs a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web beacons/Web bugs), that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers’ personally identifiable information.
We use clear gifs in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
Access to information
In case you change your mind or some information changes we will try to provide a way to correct or update the information that you give us. You may update or delete your information at any time prior to completing your application. Once the application is submitted, you will not be able to change any of the information online. We also give you the opportunity to control the communications we direct to you. If you wish to update information or objects to any usage provided herein for any reason, you may email the requested change to at [email protected]. We will respond to your request to access within 30 days.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will also retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
How we protect your personal information and your privacy
We restrict access to nonpublic personal information about you to those employees and agents who we determine need to know that information to provide products or services to you, service your account, or maintain the systems that support your account. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to guard your non-public personal information.
The security of our users’ information is an important concern to us. We exercise care in providing secure transmission of your information from your computer to our infrastructure. Owning uses industry standard efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of your information. We periodically upgrade and test these procedures and safeguards. All data transmitted between internet browsers and our servers are protected against unauthorized interception or access using Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) protocols. In order touse our website, users are required to be running an SSL-capable browser. We will use commercially reasonable methods to keep nonpublic personal information securely in our files and systems. Please note that with current technology, we cannot guarantee the security of your data as it travels over the internet.
Online applications are maintained on a secure server. We do not ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us in a non-secure environment, such as within or attached to an email. Email is normally not protected and may be intercepted and viewed by others. Therefore, you should refrain from sending any confidential information via unsecured email to Owning.
Compliance with state and federal laws
As privacy rights vary by state, you may wish to contact the appropriate agency in your state that is charged with overseeing privacy rights of consumers. In addition, state and federal regulations may require us to maintain and report demographic information on the collective activities of consumers and users. We may also be required to maintain your personal information for at least seven years in order to be in compliance with applicable federal and state laws regarding record retention.
If you are logged into your account on our website and are inactive for a certain period of time, you will be automatically logged out. This is a security measure that reduces the risk of unauthorized access to your account or non-public personal information.
Owning requires the use of passwords that meet minimum length and complexity requirements. Users are also required to change their passwords periodically. To protect against unauthorized access, accounts are locked after a number of unsuccessful login attempts.
What you can do to protect yourself
While we take the security of your non-public personal information seriously and have taken steps to protect it, there are also a number of precautions that you can take to protect yourself:
- If using your personal computer, ensure that your operating system and antivirus software are up to date with the latest versions.
- Create strong, unique passwords for each online service that you use and change these passwords often.
- When you finish using our website from a public computer, log out and clear the browser’s cache file.
Stay vigilant for scams like “phishing”. Never provide your login information in response to any email, physical mail or phone call that claims to be from GRI. Instead, go directly to our website, ensuring that the URL begins with https://www.owning.com, https://login.owning.com, or https://get.owning.com
Does Owning share my personal information with third parties?
As a visitor and user of our website, we will not share any of your non-public personal information with anyone outside our company except:
- On a “need to know” basis, as necessary under the agreements with our vendors to perform the services as contracted by you
- At your direction and with your consent.
- To communicate with you about products and services, update you on new services and benefits, or to provide you with personalized promotional offers.
- As required or permitted by law.
Links to other sites
Our site includes links to other websites whose privacy practices may differ from those of Owning. If you submit personal information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy statements. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy statement of any website you visit.
Our website offers publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at [email protected]. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
Contest and sweepstakes
We may offer you the option to participate in contests, sweepstakes, or surveys. If you agree to participate, we may ask you for contact information, preferences or other information. This information may be used to conduct research, improve our offerings, or contact you regarding home financing or award prizes. For information on how your information that you supply will be used, please refer to the rules for each contest or sweepstakes.
Notifications from us
Change of control
Your non-public personal information may be transferred in connection with a sale, merger, transfer, exchange or other disposition (whether of assets, stock or otherwise) of all or a portion of a business of Owning.
Agreement and contact
By clicking on any button indicating an acceptance or agreement to terms, a continuance of processing or submission you understand that you are agreeing to the stated terms and conditions of that submission and that you are agreeing that you have read, accepted, and agreed to the Terms and Conditions and agree to do business electronically with Owning.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code § 1798.83 permits visitors to our website who are California residents to request certain information regarding their disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write us:
Guaranteed Rate, Inc.
Attn: Compliance Officer
3940 N. Ravenswood
Chicago, IL 60613
DISCLOSURE FOR CALIFORNIA USERS: GRI AND OTHER PARTIES NOT AFFILIATED WITH US MAY COLLECT PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ONLINE ACTIVITIES OVER TIME AND ACROSS DIFFERENT WEBSITES WHEN YOU USE OUR WEBSITE OR THE SERVICES OFFERED ON OUR WEBSITE. WE DO NOT HAVE ANY PROTOCOL THAT OFFERS YOU THE CHOICE TO OPT-OUT OF INTERNET TRACKING. AT PRESENT TIME, THE GRI WEBSITE IS UNABLE TO RESPOND TO “DO NOT TRACK” SIGNALS FROM YOUR INTERNET BROWSER. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING OUR INTERNET TRACKING METHODS PLEASE EMAIL US AT [email protected].
Notification of privacy statement changes
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Information We Collect
Our Websites may collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device (“personal information”). In particular, our Websites may have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers since January 1, 2020, the effective date of the CCPA:
|CATEGORY||EXAMPLES (NOT ALL WILL BE COLLECTED)||COLLECTED|
|A. Identifiers||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers||YES|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.||YES|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||YES|
|D. Commercial Information||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||YES|
|E. Biometric Information||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||NO|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||YES|
|G. Geolocation Data||Physical location or movements.||YES|
|H. Sensory Data||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||NO|
|I. Professional or employment-related information||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||YES|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99))||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||YES|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||NO|
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, like:
- Health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- Personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
Guaranteed Rate, Inc. obtains the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or products and services you purchase.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our Websites.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- From third-party business partners such as social media sites, ad networks, and analytics providers
Use of Personal Information
We use information to offer products and services to you, fulfill your requests, improve the quality of our products and services, engage in research and analysis relating to our products and services, personalize your experience, track usage of our Website, market the our products and services, provide customer support, message you, back up our systems, allow for disaster recovery, enhance the security of our Website, and comply with legal obligations. Even when we do not retain such information, it still must be transmitted to our servers initially and stored long enough to process.
We also use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal information:
- To present the content of our products and services to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our products or services we offer or provide though it.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to request a price quote or ask a question about our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process returns.
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Websites, products, and services.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To personalize your Website experience and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our Websites, third-party sites, and via email or text message (with your consent, where required by law).
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Websites, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Websites, products, and services.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Guaranteed Rate, Inc’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Guaranteed Rate Affinity, LLC about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
Guaranteed Rate, Inc. will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
Guaranteed Rate, Inc. may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
We share your personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Subsidaries and affiliates.
- Service providers.
- Third parties with whom we partner with to offer products and services to you.
- Data aggregators.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
Since January 1, 2020, Guaranteed Rate, Inc. has disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
- Category A: Identifiers.
- Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
- Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
- Category D: Commercial information.
- Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
- Category G: Geolocation data.
- Category I: Current or past job history or performance evaluations.
Sales of Personal Information
Guaranteed Rate, Inc. has not sold personal information since January 1, 2020, the effective date of the CCPA.
Your California Privacy Rights
We do not share personal information (as defined by California Civil Code § 1798.83) with other people or non-affiliated businesses for their direct marketing purposes. Our websites do not respond to browser do-not-track signals.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), California consumers have the right to request:
- The deletion of the personal information we have about them
- Additional information about whether and how we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold personal information about them
- The specific pieces of personal information we have about them
California consumers also have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment if they exercise the rights listed above.
When you make a request, we may require that you provide information and follow procedures so that we can verify the request and your jurisdiction before responding to it. The verification steps we take may differ depending on the request you make. We will match the information that you provide in your request to information we already have on file to verify your identity. If we are able to verify your request, we will process it. If we cannot verify your request, we may ask you for additional information to help us verify your request.
Consumers will be required to submit their first and last name and email address and may also be asked to provide their telephone number or address so that we can verify the request. Please provide as much of the requested information as possible to help us verify the request. We will only use the information received in a request for the purposes of responding to the request.
California law permits California consumers to use an authorized agent to make privacy rights requests. We require the authorized agent to provide us with proof of the California consumer’s written permission (for example, a power of attorney) that shows the authorized agent has the authority to submit a request for the California consumer. An authorized agent must follow the process described below to make a request. The authorized agent must also verify his/her own identity. We will confirm the agent’s authority with the California consumer about whom the request was made.
You may submit a privacy rights request to us by:
- Visiting our Data Subject Access Request (“DSAR”) portal here
- Calling us at 866-934-7283
- Sending us a letter to:
Guaranteed Rate, Inc.
Attn: Compliance Officer
3940 N. Ravenswood
Chicago, IL 60613
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
Guaranteed Rate, Inc. reserves the right to amend this privacy Notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy Notice, we will post the updated Notice on the Websites and update the Notice’s effective date. Your continued use of our Websites following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
If you have any questions or comments about this Notice, the ways in which Guaranteed Rate, Inc. collects and uses your information described above, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
Email: [email protected]
Sending a letter to us at:
Guaranteed Rate, Inc.
Attn: Compliance Officer
3940 N. Ravenswood
Chicago, IL 60613
DISCLOSURE FOR CALIFORNIA USERS: GRA AND OTHER PARTIES NOT AFFILIATED WITH US MAY COLLECT PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ONLINE ACTIVITIES OVER TIME AND ACROSS DIFFERENT WEBSITES WHEN YOU USE OUR WEBSITE OR THE SERVICES OFFERED ON OUR WEBSITE. WE DO NOT HAVE ANY PROTOCOL THAT OFFERS YOU THE CHOICE TO OPT-OUT OF INTERNET TRACKING. AT PRESENT TIME, THE GRA WEBSITE IS UNABLE TO RESPOND TO “DO NOT TRACK” SIGNALS FROM YOUR INTERNET BROWSER. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING OUR INTERNET TRACKING METHODS PLEASE EMAIL US AT [email protected]